08 April 2011

Happy Birthday!

Today, Bill Vallicella informs us, would be the 152nd birthday of Edmund Husserl, founder of phenomenology, teacher of St. Edith Stein, and among my philosophical heroes.  To celebrate, here is an online copy of his programmatic 1910 article, ‘Philosophy as a Rigourous Science.’  Enjoy!

When I learned of Husserl in my junior year of high school, I was enthralled by the man's work and vision.  I first encountered him through the writings of St. Edith Stein, moving from there to The Crisis of European Sciences.  To date, I have read, in addition to the CrisisIdeas I, The Idea of Phenomenology, The Phenomenology of Internal Time-Consciousness, Cartesian Meditations, and Formal and Transcendental Logic (all well worth reading), and have the Logical Investigations on my reading list.

Edmund Gustav Albrecht Husserl

No comments:

Post a Comment